M'gladbach 0
Dundee Utd 2
UEFA Cup (Semi Final 2nd Leg)


0 - 2

Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup (Semi Final 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, April 22nd, 1987
Bokelberg Stadium. Att. 33,500
8:00 PM Kick-off

None. Iain Ferguson (43)
Ian Redford (90)

Team Managers
Jupp Heynckes Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Uwe Kamps
Andre Winkhold
Michael Frontzeck
Kai Erik Herlovsen
Christian Hochstatter
Uli Borowka
Hans-Gunter Bruns
Uwe Rahn
Gunter Thiele
Ewald Lienen
Hans-Jorg Criens
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Ian Redford
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Paul Sturrock
Iain Ferguson

Erik Thorstvedt
Andreas Brandts
Jorg Jung
Thomas Eichen
Bernd Krauss
Scott Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Gary McGinnis
John Clark
Kevin Gallacher

Bernd Krauss for Christian Hochstatter (46)
Jorg Jung for Thomas Winkhold (80)
John Clark for Iain Ferguson (85)
Kevin Gallacher for Paul Sturrock (85)

Uwe Rahn (84) Iain Ferguson (31)
Paul Sturrock (73)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Jose Rosa Dos Santos (Portugal) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

After Barcelona we said it was United's finest hour, well the performance to oust Borussia was the equal, if not the better of the magical happenings in the Camp Nou. The Germans, who had been so confident after their draw at Tannadice, found the United defence in resolute mood with John Holt who was in superb form. After repelling everything that Borussia could muster, a good first half performance was capped by the vital away goal, the least we needed to win the tie. A comer from the left was punched out by Kamps. Eamonn Bannon rose to nod the ball to his right and Iain Ferguson's diving header was placed to perfection just inside the near post.

Borussia now needed two goals to win and only had 45 minutes in which to achieve it. Instead it was United who carved out the greater number of chances in the second period. Both Iain Ferguson and Ian Redford went close and as time was running out, a strange refereeing decision against Billy Thomson, led to Borowoka cracking a shot against the post. With the final whistle almost within earshot, Kevin Gallacher took a John Clark clearance past his marker and went on to supply the unmarked Ian Redford who rounded the Keeper and slotted in our second goal with the last kick of the game. A fitting way to confirm Scotland’s first ever representatives in the final of the U.E.FA. Cup.

Squad Statistics (as at April 22nd, 1987)

1986-87 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)66 0 - 0 -
Dave Narey67 0 - 0 -
John Holt67 0 - 0 -
Paul Hegarty69 0 - 0 -
Ian Redford64 0 - 0 -
Billy Kirkwood65 0 - 0 -
Jim McInally60 0 - 0 -
Eamonn Bannon65 0 - 0 -
Dave Bowman60 0 - 0 -
Paul Sturrock67 0 - 0 -
Iain Ferguson61 0 - 0 -
John Clark (sub)59 0 - 0 -
Kevin Gallacher (sub)57 0 - 0 -

League Table (as at April 22nd, 1987)

No league table has been added for this season.