Dundee Utd 4
Kilmarnock 0
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
4 - 0

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, April 23rd, 1983
Tannadice Park. Att. 7,516
3:00 PM Kick-off

Derek Stark (13)
John Holt (21)
Derek Stark (34)
Paul Sturrock (40)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jim Clunie

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Derek Stark
3. Maurice Malpas
4. Billy Kirkwood
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Dave Narey
7. Eamonn Bannon
8. Ralph Milne
9. John Holt
10. Paul Sturrock
11. Davie Dodds
Alan McCulloch .1
Stuart McLean .2
Robert Clark .3
Jim Clark .4
Kenny Armstrong .5
Paul Clarke .6
Sam McGivern .7
Ally MacLeod .8
Ken Eadie .9
Jim Simpson .10
Billy Muir .11

12. John Clark
14. Ian Britton
Brian Gallacher .12
Derrick McDicken .14

Ian Britton for John Holt (45)
Brian Gallacher for Billy Muir (45)
Derrick McDicken for Kenny Armstrong (66)

None. Robert Clark
Jim Simpson

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Alistair Huett (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

United came into this home game with Kilmarnock on the back of a great win at Parkhead. The one downside of that match was the sending off of Richard Gough which meant he was missing for the visit of the Ayrshire men. Paul Sturrock remained in the side after a good recent run of games and goals following a frustrating season of injuries.

The match got off to a tentative start and Kilmarnock could, and perhaps should, have scored twice. However, United got their game together and began to dismantle a shell shocked Killie side. After 13 minutes, Derek Stark headed United into the lead from a Bannon corner. It was 2-0 after twenty minutes. Bannon knocked the ball forward, Dodds headed on and Milne laid it into the path of the onrushing John Holt who buried it in the bottom corner. United were now flying as they shot towards the shed end at Tannadice. The third wasn't long in coming. Again, it came from a Bannon corner and again it was Derek Stark who raced in to head the ball beyond Allan McCulloch. There was still time for another goal before half time as United moved into cruise control. Bannon flighted in a free-kick which was met by Ralph Milne. The midfielder, with a single touch, ran in perfectly into the path of Paul Sturrock, who had no trouble steering it home from just inside the box.

Kilmarnock improved after the break but apart from a few hairy moments did not look capable of unnerving the title challengers. Still, considering it was the game that finally guaranteed their demotion to the first division, Kilmarnock displayed some defiant pride in the themselves during that period. United had beaten Killie long before half-time and if they revealed their other, less effective nature after the break, that was understandable after the drain on their physical and mental processes during this week. With Celtic losing at Pittodrie, United went top for the first time and dreams of the title became a potential reality.

Squad Statistics (as at April 23rd, 1983)

1982-83 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)35 51 - 5763
Dave Narey26 52844833
Paul Hegarty28 52540158
John Holt26 34423120
Derek Stark24 4722025
Maurice Malpas20 482732
Billy Kirkwood24 46726754
Ralph Milne21 461915546
Eamonn Bannon25 401018649
Davie Dodds24 522422791
Paul Sturrock26 4216371118
Ian Britton (sub)28 172172

League Table (as at April 23rd, 1983)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. United 33 21 8 4 +46 50
2. Celtic 33 22 5 6 +45 49
3. Aberdeen 31 21 4 6 +37 46
4. Rangers 32 11 12 9 +9 34
5. St Mirren 32 9 11 12 -3 29
6. Hibernian 32 7 14 11 -8 28
7. Dundee 32 8 11 13 -8 27
8. Motherwell 32 10 4 18 -29 24
9. Morton 33 6 8 19 -36 20
10. Kilmarnock 32 3 9 20 -53 15

League results since United's last match
23rd April 1983
Dundee Utd4-0Kilmarnock
St Mirren4-0Motherwell

Manager's Programme Notes

Despite our own achievements in mid-week, I must start by adding my congratulations to Aberdeen on reaching the final of the European Cup Winners' Cup where they will face Real Madrid next month. Turning to our own efforts at Parkhead, I felt our players were magnificent in overcoming Celtic, and that justice was done in the end with the better side coming out on top. Now we must keep our feet firmly on the ground, maintaining the confidence and arrogance displayed against Celtic. If we do this we have as good a chance as any of winning the title. Never before has patience of the Dundee public been so essential. I can assure you that the players are equally as anxious as the keenest supporters that we end the season as champions. Too often in the past at Ibrox and Parkhead we have let our travelling support down and I was greatly appreciative of Wednesdays magnificent support which for once was duly rewarded.

I might be prone to exaggeration but I have never been prouder of the players than on Wednesday night particularly taking into account all the circumstances. Thankfully that result put all the pressure on ourselves and deservedly so. Naturally I am disappointed that we will be without Richard Gough this afternoon, following his sending off. With the continued absence of lain Phillip it means I have no alternative but to revert Dave Narey to his role as sweeper. We have put ourselves right back into the title frame and an awful lot rests in our hands. Now we must approach our last four matches, starting against Kilmarnock today, in the same fashion as we did against Celtic in mid-week.