Dundee Utd 5
Motherwell 1
League (Premiership)

Dundee Utd
5 - 1

League (Premiership)
Saturday, April 26th, 2014
Tannadice Park. Att. 6,383
3:00 PM Kick-off

Nadir Çiftçi (8)
Nadir Çiftçi (41)
Stuart Armstrong (61)
Ryan Dow (72)
Brian Graham (81)
Lionel Ainsworth (88)

Team Managers
Jackie McNamara
Stuart McCall

Starting Eleven
1. Radoslaw Cierzniak
26. Andrew Robertson
12. Keith Watson
5. Gavin Gunning
2. Seán Dillon
10. Stuart Armstrong
11. Gary Mackay-Steven
6. Paul Paton
8. John Rankin
18. Ryan Dow
21. Nadir Çiftçi
Gunnar Nielsen
Fraser Kerr
Shaun Hutchinson
Stephen McManus
Stevie Hammell
Craig Reid
Jack Leitch
Keith Lasley
Iain Vigurs
Henri Anier
John Sutton

25. Marc McCallum
20. John Souttar
16. Mark Wilson
19. Ryan Gauld
27. Morgaro Gomis
29. Farid El Alagui
9. Brian Graham
Lee Hollis
James McFadden
Zaine Francis-Angol
Craig Moore
Euan Murray
Lionel Ainsworth
Chris Cadden

Ryan Gauld for Paul Paton (69)
Brian Graham for Nadir Çiftçi (69)
Morgaro Gomis for Stuart Armstrong (73)
Lionel Ainsworth for Fraser Kerr (46)
Craig Moore for Henri Anier (46)
Zaine Francis-Angol for Iain Vigurs (77)

None. Keith Lasley (28)
Jack Leitch (85)
Stephen McManus (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Steven McLean (Referee)

Match Report

After the loss to St Johnstone last Saturday, Jackie McNamara made two changes for the visit of Motherwell. Club captain Sean Dillon returned, as did Ryan Dow with youngsters Gauld and Souttar dropping to the bench.

United started the game on the front foot and with three minutes gone a Mackay-Steven corner landed at the feet of Gunning who swivelled on the edge of the box and shot just over. Two minutes later Steve Hammill, making his 500th appearance for the Steelmen, crossed into the United box and Kerr headed wide. United took the lead on the seven minute mark thanks to a wonderful strike. Ciftci gathered the ball in his own half and passed to Armstrong. The United midfielder made a great forward run and returned the ball to Nadir Çiftçi who fired high into the top corner past the helpless Nielson. Six minutes later United again looked dangerous. Watson and Mackay-Steven combined to set up Paton who lobbed the advancing Nielson but McManus was on hand to clear the ball before it crossed the line. Dow and Watson then combined with the full back crossing to Mackay-Steven who had a header gathered by the Motherwell keeper. With 21 minutes gone United should have extended their lead. A surging run from Armstrong again saw him set up Ciftci but Neilson made an outstanding save to thwart the United striker. Shortly after, Robertson did well on the left and his cross just failed to reach Dow and after a great interception from Paton, Mackay-Steven fired in a low shot that Neilson tipped round the post. It was all United now and again Armstrong found Ciftci, this time with a cross, but this time the big Turkish striker headed straight at Nielson. Five minutes before the break United deservedly doubled their lead. Mackay-Steven picked out Armstrong on the left and once again he found Nadir Çiftçi with an inch perfect pass and he calmly slotted the ball home.

Stuart McCall rang the changes for the visitors at half time, bringing on Moore and Ainsworth to replace Kerr and Anier. They started the second half in a determined mood and went close early on with shots from Lasley and then substitute Moore. The Lasley chance in particular should have reduced the deficit with the midfielder blasting over from inside the United penalty box. United then stepped up the pace with Ciftci curling an effort wide and then a powerful Mackay-Steven run was halted by a last ditch tackle from Hammill. The home support then made a loud appeal for a penalty when Dow was pulled back in the box but play was waved on by the referee. With an hour on the clock United extended their lead further. The ball was played out of the home defence and the ball was flicked on by Dow. The impressive Stuart Armstrong ran from the half way line and outpaced the visitors defence and shot high into the net. Minutes later Dow turned provider again, laying the ball into the path of Ciftci who this time was unlucky to see his shot come back off the post. Gunning then had a log range effort saved by Neilson. With the home side looking comfortable Jackie McNamara then made two changes to his side with Ryan Gauld and Brian Graham replacing Paul Paton and the two goal hero Nadir Ciftci. With 20 minutes left the three points were all but secured for United. Gunning crossed to the chest of Ryan Dow and he had all the time in the world to control and fire home United’s fourth of the afternoon. With the big games coming thick and fast United then brought on Morgaro Gomis to replace the terrific Armstrong. With United’s confidence now sky high it was no surprise when with ten minutes left they extended their lead further. Gauld flicked a ball through to Brian Graham who held his nerve and shot past Neilson. Leitch was then cautioned for the visitors after a late tackle on Dow. Mackay-Steven almost rubbed further salt into the visitors wounds when he found space in the box but this time the home defence blocked and the score remained at 5-0. United’s hope of a clean sheet were scuppered in the dying minutes when a Lionel Ainsworth deceived Cierzniak to give the visitors a late consolation. There was still time for one further booking with McManus being shown a yellow card for pulling back Dow.

Squad Statistics (as at April 26th, 2014)

2013-14 All Time
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK)31 42 - 88 -
Andrew Robertson20 415415
Seán Dillon30 23 - 2573
Keith Watson24 26413310
Gavin Gunning23 2949510
Gary Mackay-Steven23 381010322
Stuart Armstrong22 401112316
Paul Paton27 422422
John Rankin30 4021289
Nadir Çiftçi22 37173717
Ryan Dow22 274556
Morgaro Gomis (sub)28 19 - 1997
Ryan Gauld (sub)18 358479
Brian Graham (sub)26 337337

League Table (as at April 26th, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.