Celtic 2
Dundee Utd 0
League (Premier Division)


2 - 0

Dundee Utd

League (Premier Division)
Wednesday, April 6th, 1983
Parkhead. Att. 34,508
7:30 PM Kick-off

Frank McGarvey (60)
Charlie Nicholas (79)

Team Managers
Billy McNeill Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
1. Pat Bonner
2. Danny McGrain
3. Mark Reid
4. Roy Aitken
5. Tom McAdam
6. Murdo McLeod
7. Davie Provan
8. Paul McStay
9. Charlie Nicholas
10. Tommy Burns
11. Frank McGarvey
Hamish McAlpine .1
Derek Stark .2
Maurice Malpas .3
Richard Gough .4
Paul Hegarty .5
Dave Narey .6
Eamonn Bannon .7
Ralph Milne .8
John Holt .9
Paul Sturrock .10
Davie Dodds .11

12. Graeme Sinclair
14. Danny Crainie
Dave Beaumont .12
John Reilly .14

None. John Reilly for Dave Narey (80)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

C White (Clarkston) (Referee)

Match Report

All eyes were on Celtic Park for this long awaited, twice postponed, top of the table encounter in front of the largest League crowd of the season involving United. The Terrors went into this match on the back of a run of 10 League games unbeaten, and were unchanged from the squad that defeated Rangers at Tannadice at the weekend.

The game was tightly deadlocked in the first half but the entertainment was always first rate. The fact that the referee allowed some thumping tackles to go unpenalised, just added to the tension around the ground. In 18 minutes, Charlie Nicholas tumbled in the box after a challenge from Dave Narey , but the referee waved away the claims amid significant protests from Celtic. United seemed so promising in the first half. Their defence was rock solid and quicksilver Paul Sturrock always looked as though he could snatch a goal.

Even early in the second half it looked as though this may be heading for a draw as both sides snuffed each other out. However, the champions finally broke Dundee United's concentration and got the noses in front. United cracked after a vital error by the so-solid Paul Hegarty in the 60th minute. Hegarty gathered but didn't really control the ball from Paul McStay. In a split second of indecision he tried a pass-back, miss-kicked and the alert Frank McGarvey pounced in a flash.The Celtic forward raced away and struck the ball well away from Hamish McAlpine who had no chance. As the players went to the centre of the field to centre the ball, Hegarty was stooped in the six-yard box staring at the ground in abject agony. Then, 18 minutes later, Charlie Nicholas snatched his 44th goal of the season with Manchester United manager Ron Atkinson watching from the stand. Roy Aitken strode 40 yards unchallenged, gave a quick pass to the left to McGarvey who veered right along the six-yard line and shot when he saw the gap. The ball was blocked and bounced to Nicholas who lobbed McAlpine for the second Celtic goal. Everything turned sour for United from here on in. So much so that in the last few minutes Davie Dodds headed the ball down to Sturrock in front of goal and he scooped it over the bar. The result put Celtic three points clear at the top of the table and provided a severe knock to our Championship hopes.

Squad Statistics (as at April 6th, 1983)

1982-83 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)35 48 - 5733
John Holt26 31322819
Derek Stark24 45 - 2003
Maurice Malpas20 452702
Dave Narey26 49844533
Richard Gough21 4899711
Paul Hegarty28 49439857
Ralph Milne21 431815245
Eamonn Bannon24 37818347
Paul Sturrock26 3914368116
Davie Dodds24 492422491
John Reilly (sub)21 217369

League Table (as at April 6th, 1983)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 30 21 5 4 +44 47
2. DUNDEE UTD 30 18 8 4 +40 44
3. Aberdeen 29 20 4 5 +37 44
4. Rangers 30 9 12 9 +6 30
5. St Mirren 30 8 11 11 -6 27
6. Hibernian 29 6 13 10 -6 25
7. Dundee 30 8 9 13 -8 25
8. Motherwell 30 9 4 17 -28 22
9. Morton 30 6 8 16 -30 20
10. Kilmarnock 30 3 8 19 -49 14

League results since United's last match
6th April 1983
Celtic2-0Dundee Utd