Dundee Utd 0
Aberdeen 2
Friendly (as Dallas Tornado)

Dundee Utd
0 - 2

Friendly (as Dallas Tornado)
Saturday, July 1st, 1967
Dallas, TX, USA. Att. 6,839
7:00 PM Kick-off

None. Jim Smith
Jim Whyte

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Eddie Turnbull

Starting Eleven
Don Mackay
Tommy Neilson
Doug Smith
Jimmy Briggs
Jim Cameron
Tommy Millar
Dennis Gillespie
Ian Scott
Jackie Graham
Gerry Hernon
Finn Døssing
Bobby Clark
Jim Whyte
Ally Shewan
Frank Munro
Tommy McMillan
Jens Petersen
Dave Johnston
Jim Smith
Jim Storrie
Harry Melrose
Jimmy Wilson

Walter Smith
Martin Buchan
Pat Wilson

Walter Smith for Ian Scott (85)
Martin Buchan for Frank Munro
Pat Wilson for Dave Johnston

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

This meeting with the Dons must certainly come into the most unusual category of any of the many confrontations between the two. Both clubs had been invited to compete in the United States League during the summer of 1967. However, each represented an American club. United, were based in Dallas, with Aberdeen, representing Washington Whips. And while Aberdeen had been doing well. United had struggled still looking for their first home win against the Dons in the Cotton Bowl, Dallas. The Dallas Tornado franchise was one of the original clubs that played in the United Soccer Association, one of the two precursors to the NASL, in 1967. The following season when the USA merged with the NPSL, owners Lamar Hunt and Bill McNutt had to build a new team from scratch. However, that summer of 1967, it was the Tannadice men that represented Dallas.

It wasn't as hot as usual, but the humidity was high with oxygen replacing the more usual half-time cuppa. With Jim Moore and Billy Hainey out injured, Jim Cameron moved to half-back and Jimmy Briggs played in his first home match. Early on, Jackie Graham twice had chances to score but was thwarted by last minute saves by Bobby Clark. Jimmy Smith was then denied by a late intervention by Doug Smith. However, it wasn't until the final 15 minutes that the match slipped away from United. The first came when Dons captain, Harry Melrose pounced on a poor pass out by Donald Mackay. Harry slipped the ball to Jimmy Smith who had to push it past the advancing Donald Mackay. With 90 seconds remaining, full-back Chalky Whyte received the ball over on the right and he deceived Donald Mackay with his shot from the edge of the box, leaving United and an exasperated crowd of 6,800 still awating that elusive home win.

Squad Statistics (as at July 1st, 1967)

1966-67 All Time

League Table (as at July 1st, 1967)

No league table has been added for this season.