Dundee Utd 1
West Ham 3
Friendly (as Dallas Tornado)

Dundee Utd
1 - 3
West Ham 

Friendly (as Dallas Tornado)
Wednesday, May 21st, 1969
Dallas. Att. 1,500
7:00 PM Kick-off

Kenny Cameron (26)
Geoff Hurst (57)
Trevor Brooking (62)
Geoff Hurst

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Ron Greenwood

Starting Eleven
1. Don Mackay
2. Andy Rolland
3. Stuart Markland
4. Dennis Gillespie
5. Doug Smith
6. Wilson Wood
7. Davie Hogg
8. Alec Reid
9. Kenny Cameron
10. Ian Mitchell
11. Davie Wilson
Robert Ferguson .1
Billy Bonds .2
Bobby Howe .3
Martin Peters .4
Alan Stevenson .5
Bobby Moore .6
Harry Rednapp .7
James Lindsay .8
Trevor Brooking .9
Geoff Hurst .10
Trevor Hartley .11

12. Alan Gordon
Ron Boyce .12

Alan Gordon for Kenny Cameron
Ron Boyce for Trevor Hartley

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

United faced up to West Ham for the second time in a week and hoping to do better than the drubbing they received from the English side a few days earlier. With excellent publicity on television, radio and in the local newspapers, due to the visit of the English star players, it was hoped for a good crowd. Unfortunately only 1500 turned up.

The match kicked off in a silent atmosphere and around 90 degrees humidity. West Ham quickly adapted to the conditions, much more so than United.To their credit, the Tannadice boys tried hard to open up the game. They switched wingers, Kenny Cameron played a roving game, and the full-backs were overlapping in attack. Although the ideas were good, the pace was slow enough for the Londoners to take them in their stride. In 26 minutes, Kenny Cameron broke through on his own and scored a surprise goal. It should have been 2-0 eight minutes later, when Cameron was tripped in the penalty area. However, from the spot he put the ball two yards wide of the right hand post.

Cameron was replaced by Alan Gordon in the second half. In a five minute spell West Ham went into the lead. Geoff Hurst equalised after 57 minutes. Ron Boyce headed the ball into the middle to Martin Peters, who in turn pushed it on to Hurst. In a quick movement he left-footed it into the net from five yards. Minutes later Redknapp centred a perfect pass to Trevor Brooking, who left Mackay with no chance from close in. The third goal was the most spectacular. Left-back Howe broke down the wing on an overlap, crossed to Martin Peters who headed home on the run from 10 yards. Although United tried hard they were too slow in their build ups. Wilson Wood and Denis Gillespie worked like trojans and Doug Smith did a good job in containing Hurst, but Ron Greenwood's side were always on top. A head flick by Hurst, a side foot pass by Moore or a long crisp pass by Peter all left United floundering. Jerry Kerr after the match, stated, "We should have taken more chances in the first half, but they were very good and deserved victory." This was the second time in a week that United lost to the Hammers. On Sunday they crashed 6-1 in Baltimore.

Squad Statistics (as at May 21st, 1969)

1968-69 All Time

League Table (as at May 21st, 1969)

No league table has been added for this season.