Dundee Utd 1
Celtic 2
Scottish Cup (Final)

Dundee Utd
1 - 2

Scottish Cup (Final)
Saturday, May 18th, 1985
Hampden Park. Att. 59,256
3:00 PM Kick-off

Stuart Beedie (54)
Davie Provan (76)
Frank McGarvey (84)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
David Hay

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
Billy Kirkwood
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Stuart Beedie
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Pat Bonner
Willie McStay
Danny McGrain
Roy Aitken
Tom McAdam
Murdo MacLeod
Davie Provan
Paul McStay
Maurice Johnston
Tommy Burns
Frank McGarvey

John Holt
Tommy Coyne
Brian McClair
Pierce O'Leary

John Holt for Stuart Beedie (78)
Brian McClair for Tommy Burns (65)
Pierce O'Leary for Paul McStay (75)

Billy Kirkwood (39)
Willie McStay (73)
Danny McGrain (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Brian McGinlay (Balfron) (Referee)

Match Report

A milestone was reached in Scottish football in 1985 when Hampden Park hosted the 100th Scottish Cup Final. Although the first final had taken place in 1874 the competition had not been played during the First and Second World Wars. This was United's third Scottish Cup final, having knocked out the holders Aberdeen in the semi-final replay at Tynecastle. Both managers had kept their teamsheets a closely guarded secret until shortly before kick-off, but when they were revealed there were no real surprises.

The first half was a determined affair, with every 50-50 ball contested. United had the first chance after just two minutes, Maurice Malpas swung a free-kick up to Davie Dodds, who knocked down into the path of Eamonn Bannon who sent in a shot that Bonner held comfortably. Celtic replied in the seventh minute, with Davie Provan's free-kick was knocked over the bar by Maurice Johnston from eight yards. Tommy Burns brought Hamish McAlpine in to the action with a shot from 20 yards, but Scotland's Player of the Year held easily. There was little goal mouth action in the first half, with neither Bonner or McAlpine having to make a save of note.

The second half started in similar fashion, but United took the lead in the 54th minute. Eamonn Bannon passed to David Dodds who controlled the ball whilst holding off a challenge, then slipped the ball to Stuart Beedie who sneaked in between two Celtic defenders to fire a low shot past Bonner's left hand into the corner of the goal from around 13 yards out. The Tannadice side were looking in complete control until the 77th minute, when referee Brian McGinlay awarded Celtic a foul 20 yards from goal, and Davie Provan fired an impressive free-kick into the top corner for the equaliser. Provan's goal completely changed the game, with Celtic now on the attack. The match looked to be heading for extra-time, but with five minutes to go Aitken charged down the right and swung over a cross for Frank McGarvey to head home the winner for the Glasgow side.

Squad Statistics (as at May 18th, 1985)

1984-85 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)37 39 - 6743
Paul Hegarty30 50551168
Dave Narey28 46155136
Maurice Malpas22 5221826
Richard Gough23 51820627
Eamonn Bannon27 531629579
Billy Kirkwood26 38435468
Ralph Milne24 31823668
Stuart Beedie24 397397
Paul Sturrock28 4820449144
Davie Dodds26 4016324137
John Holt (sub)28 41 - 32823

League Table (as at May 18th, 1985)

No league table has been added for this season.