Dundee Utd 1
Hibernian 4
League (SPL)

Dundee Utd
1 - 4

League (SPL)
Monday, December 27th, 2004
Tannadice Park. Att. 10,152
3:00 PM Kick-off

Jason Scotland (8)
Derek Riordan (13)
Garry O'Connor (22)
Alen Orman (58)
Sam Morrow (81)

Team Managers
Ian McCall
Tony Mowbray

Starting Eleven
1. Tony Bullock
25. Chris Innes
2. Mark Wilson
23. Paul Ritchie
5. Alan Archibald
7. Mark Kerr
4. Derek McInnes
8. Grant Brebner
11. Barry Robson
20. Jason Scotland
10. Jim McIntyre
Simon Brown
Steven Whittaker
Gary Caldwell
Ian Murray
David Murphy
Dean Shiels
Alen Orman
Craig Rocastle
Stephen Glass
Garry O'Connor
Derek Riordan

24. Paul Jarvie
39. Garry Kenneth
3. David McCracken
36. Greg Cameron
14. Billy Dodds
16. James Grady
9. Collin Samuel
Alister Brown
Gary Smith
Stephen Dobbie
Jay Shields
Sam Morrow
Steven Fletcher
Jamie McCluskey

David McCracken for Mark Kerr (64)
Collin Samuel for Grant Brebner (69)
Sam Morrow for Garry O'Connor (67)
Steven Fletcher for Alen Orman (74)

Alan Archibald (23)
Ian Murray (35)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Ian Fyfe (Referee)
Gordon Middleton & Willie Dishington (Assistants)
Eddie Smith (Fourth Official)

Match Report

around the park but, to their credit, neither side seemed to let it dominate proceedings.

James Grady had recovered from his viral infection to get a place on the bench but Karim Kerkar was the latest victim of the virus and missed out altogether. Paul Ritchie was also a pre match doubt but played from the start.

The game started briskly with both teams seemingly keen to test the others resolve and it was United who got off to a dream start when Jason Scotland took a pass from Derek McInnes and lashed an unstoppable shot into the top comer of the net from a tight angle with only 7 minutes on the clock.

Sadly, the lead was short lived and only 4 minutes later, Hibs were level. Alen Orman showed great determination to chase a long ball into the corner and his cross was bundled in by Riordan after indecision left the United defenders all failing to attack the ball.

United responded well and looked eager to regain the lead with Brebner going close but once again a moment of defensive slackness was to cost us dear. United pushed out looking to catch Hibs offside but a chipped pass found Orman in space and as he controlled the ball on his chest, O’Connor was on hand to smash the ball into the net past Bullock who had been left totally exposed.

United continued to try and get back into the game and as the half came to close, Ritchie played a good ball into space for Robson to run onto and his cutback was met on the turn by Jim McIntyre but his shot clipped the bar with the keeper well beaten.

The second half started with Hibs looking to maintain and increase their lead but United seemed determined not to allow them to have things all their own way. McIntyre went close from a corner and Barry Robson brought a good save from Brown direct from a corner.

Hibs broke upfield and from a corner the United defence failed to clear the ball convincingly and another defensive disaster proved to be United’s undoing again. A ball that appeared to be going nowhere was knocked back across goal by Jim McIntyre. This wrong footed the goalkeeper and defenders alike and Alen Orman dived low to put the ball in the net.

United boss Ian McCall threw caution to the wind and made attacking substitutions.It seemed almost as if the team took on a 4-2-4 formation. All these efforts were in vain as Hibs scored again in 80 minutes. As United pushed forward again, Robson lost the ball needlessly in his own half. Paul Ritchie and Alan Archibald were both beaten to the ball by Whittaker who played a ball through to substitute Sam Morrow who beat Bullock with ease.

The United support headed for the exits as the full time whistle neared and the team left the field somewhat disconsolate, in stark contrast to the travelling support.

United started the game well and failed to capitalise on their early lead. The scoreline perhaps flattered the visitors but United contributed to this by some horrific defensive mistakes .

Squad Statistics (as at December 27th, 2004)

2004-05 All Time
Tony Bullock (GK)32 10 - 16 -
Mark Wilson20 224898
Chris Innes28 192503
Paul Ritchie29 10 - 10 -
Alan Archibald27 232644
Grant Brebner27 191191
Barry Robson26 233526
Derek McInnes33 20 - 572
Mark Kerr22 141492
Jason Scotland25 201436
Jim McIntyre32 22911535
David McCracken (sub)23 2111204
Collin Samuel (sub)23 15 - 442

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at December 27th, 2004)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 20 16 2 2 +29 50
2. Rangers 20 15 4 1 +33 49
3. Hibernian 20 11 3 6 +7 36
4. Aberdeen 20 10 5 5 +4 35
5. Motherwell 20 9 2 9 +1 29
6. Hearts 19 7 6 6 +3 27
7. Kilmarnock 20 7 2 11 -9 23
8. Inverness CT 20 4 7 9 -9 19
9. Dunfermline 20 4 5 11 -12 17
10. Livingston 19 4 4 11 -14 16
11. Dundee 20 4 4 12 -19 16
12. DUNDEE UTD 20 3 6 11 -14 15

League results since United's last match
19th December 2004
26th December 2004
27th December 2004
Aberdeen0-0Inverness CT
Dundee Utd1-4Hibernian