Raith Rovers 1
Dundee Utd 3

Raith Rovers 

1 - 3

Dundee Utd

Tuesday, January 9th, 1979
Starks Park. Att. 1,100
7:00 PM Kick-off

Gordon Wallace (pen)(63) George Fleming (28)
Ralph Milne (80)
Paul Sturrock (89)

Team Managers
Willie McLean Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
1. Murray McDermott
2. Brian McDonough
3. Chris Candlish
4. Allan Forsyth
5. Dave Thomson
6. Tom McFarlane
7. Gordon G Wallace
8. Lenny McComb
9. Andy Harrow
10. Robin Thomson
11. Ronnie Duncan
Andy Graham .1
Ray Stewart .2
Derek Stark .3
George Fleming .4
Paul Hegarty .5
Dave Narey .6
Iain Phillip .7
Paul Sturrock .8
Ralph Milne .9
Billy Kirkwood .10
Graeme Payne .11

12. Gordon Pettie Derek Murray

Gordon Pettie for Tom McFarlane Derek Murray for Graeme Payne

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Jim Renton (Cowdenbeath) (Referee)

Match Report

After two weeks in a row where the entire Scottish senior football programme had been hit by snow and ice, as well as United's festive period matches also being wiped out, manager Jim McLean took advantage of a slight midweek thaw to arrange two friendly matches for some much needed match practise. Both away games against Forfar Athletic and Raith Rovers were arranged on the same night, with a mixture of first team and reserve players involved in both matches. The game at Starks Park was meant to have been a public showing, but the Kirkcaldy club had to change their minds late on because of the icy conditions on the terracing.

Smooth flowing United were more at home on the slippy surface early on, and in eight minutes McDermott had to make a brave save at the feet of Payne. Rovers slowly found their feet and almost grabbed a shock lead when Harrow brought out a fine diving save from Graham at the far post. Kirkwood had a header drop wide of the mark before Rovers had a penalty claim turned down when Duncan was blocked by Stark as he homed in on goal. Kirkwood shot straight into McDermott's arms and Milne crashed a drive high. The visitors went ahead in 28 minutes with a scorching goal by George Fleming from all of 25 yards. Five minutes from the interval Thomson burst through to push the ball past Graham and just inches wide of the upright.

Rovers showed more bite in the second half and in 63 minutes they equalised from the penalty spot. Duncan went down in a race for the box with Graham, and referee Jim Renton had no hesitation in awarding the spot-kick. Former United striker Gordon Wallace was the man who converted the kick. United replied with a curling shot by Payne which had just too much bend , and Harrow dorve in a tremendous shot which Graham somehow managed to turn onto the bar. The keeper saved again from point blank range from Harrow, and at the other end Fleming had an amazing miss from close-in in 79 minutes. The visitors regained the lead only 60 seconds later. Dave Narey centred and Ralph Milne had only to poke the ball into an empty net. Paul Sturrock sewed it up with a simple goal right on time after Forsyth had failed to cut out a pass.

In the other match at Station Park, a United XI that featured Hamish McAlpine, Frank Kopel and John Holt, won 4-1 with goals from the other Gordon Wallace, Davie Dodds (2) and a Brown own goal.

Squad Statistics (as at January 9th, 1979)

1978-79 All Time

League Table (as at January 9th, 1979)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. United 18 8 7 3 +9 23
2. Partick Th 18 8 5 5 +3 21
3. Aberdeen 19 6 8 5 +11 20
4. Rangers 18 6 8 4 +4 20
5. Morton 19 7 6 6 -2 20
6. Celtic 18 7 5 6 +5 19
7. St Mirren 18 7 4 7 +3 18
8. Hibernian 18 4 8 6 -4 16
9. Hearts 18 5 5 8 -12 15
10. Motherwell 18 3 4 11 -17 10