Raith Rovers 0
Dundee Utd 3

Raith Rovers 

0 - 3

Dundee Utd

Saturday, July 29th, 1978
Starks Park. Att. 1,200
7:00 PM Kick-off

None. Graeme Payne (51)
Paul Sturrock (58)
Davie Dodds (67)

Team Managers
Willie McLean Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
1. Calum Frame
2. Brian McDonough
3. Chris Candlish
4. Jim Taylor
5. Allan Forsyth
6. Dave Thomson
7. Lenny McComb
8. Don Urquhart
9. Andy Harrow
10. Tommy Murray
11. Ronnie Duncan
Hamish McAlpine .1
Derek Stark .2
Ray Stewart .3
John Holt .4
Paul Hegarty .5
Dave Narey .6
Ralph Milne .7
Gordon Wallace .8
Billy Kirkwood .9
George Fleming .10
Graeme Payne .11

12. Mallin
14. Gordon Forrest
15. David Hunter
16. Tom Houston
17. Jack Coleman
Andy Graham .12
Walter Smith .14
Derek Addison .15
Paul Sturrock .16
Davie Dodds .17

Gordon Forrest for Jim Taylor (45)
David Hunter for Don Urquhart (52)
Tom Houston for David Hunter (54)
Mallin for Calum Frame (68)
Paul Sturrock for Gordon Wallace (17)
Davie Dodds for Billy Kirkwood (48)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Match Report

Raith Rovers went into this match on a high after promotion and United fielded Gordon Wallace who was making an appearance before his old crowd.

United had the advantage of being a full time team and coped much better in the first half in sweltering conditions. Up front Raith were excruciatingly blunt. A long range effort from Jim Taylor after only two minutes slipped just past and a Duncan effort from a McComb pass was dealt well by McAlpine. United made most of the chances, with Kirkwood forcing Frame into a save from a powerful header. After 17 minutes Paul Sturrock replaced a limping Gordon Wallace. Despite the heat, the game was being placed at a ferocious pace.

In the second half, the heat looked to impact Raith more than United and the Tannadice side took control. Forrest had come on for Taylor in an effort to push Raith forward, but the move paid no dividend. After 51 minutes an industrious Graham Payne was brought down by Thomson as he homed in on a ball from Holt, and Graeme Payne got up to swerve a free-kick round the wall and in off the underside of the bar. In 58 minutes, Payne was in the act again. A corner was placed on the head of Hegarty and Paul Sturrock added the icing on the cake as Frame came out, clawing at thin air. Nine minutes later Dodds scored a goal worthy of Hampden, never mind Starks Park. A full 35 yards out, Davie Dodds turned and caught Callum Frame meandering around his area as he lashed a firm shot high into the back of the net. Raith took their 'keeper off after this goal and his replacement, Mallin, kept United at bay for the remainder of the match.

Squad Statistics (as at July 29th, 1978)

1978-79 All Time

League Table (as at July 29th, 1978)

Pld W D L +/- Pts

No games played.

League results since United's last match