Raith Rovers 2
Dundee Utd 2

Raith Rovers 

2 - 2

Dundee Utd

Sunday, July 22nd, 2007
Starks Park. Att. 1,370
3:00 PM Kick-off

Andy Tod (7)
Craig Winter (40)
Willo Flood (3)
Barry Robson (54)

Team Managers
John McGlynn Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Keiron Renton
Craig Wilson
Marco Pelosi
Marvin Andrews
Todd Lumsden
Chris Silvestro
Ryan Borris
Craig Winter
Steven Hislop
Andy Tod
Derek Carcary
Euan McLean
Seán Dillon
Garry Kenneth
Darren Dods
Stuart Duff
Prince Buaben
Craig Conway
Barry Robson
Willo Flood
David Goodwillie
Noel Hunt

Iain Davidson
Graham Weir
Joe Dingwall
Robbie Sloan
John Gibson
Christian Kalvenes
David Proctor
Lee Wilkie
Mark Kerr
Steven Robb
David Robertson
Morgaro Gomis
Johnny Russell

Iani Davidson for Todd Lumsden (60)
Graham Weir for Chris Silvestro (60)
Robbie Sloan for Derek Carcary (60)
Joe Dingwall for Ryan Borris (77)
Christian Kalvenes for Stuart Duff (56)
Morgaro Gomis for Prince Buaben (56)
Johnny Russell for David Goodwillie (79)
Steven Robb for Willo Flood (82)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

David Somers (Referee)

Match Report

United had to settle for a draw at an overcast Starks Park in what was an entertaining contest. Despite taking an early lead through new signing Willo Flood, Raith went in at half time 2-1 up after goals from Andy Tod and Chris Winter. United pegged it back early in the second half with Barry Robson equalising from a low curling free-kick.

First half:

The Fife friendly saw the debut of 19-year-old Ghanaian midfielder Prince Buaben and there was a starting place in goal for Euan McLean after new boy Lukasz Zaluska suffered a broken foot earlier this week. Wilkie, Robb, Gomis and Kerr also dropped to the bench from the side that started against Airdrie United with Kenneth, Flood and Hunt taking starting berths.

A solid Raith side were looking for their second Premier League scalp in a week after defeating Kilmarnock 2-1 at Starks Park on Wednesday.

For the second match in a row, United made a bright start and were in the lead with only three minutes on the clock. A great run down the left from David Goodwillie saw him make the byline before cutting back inside and firing a shot at goal. Keeper Keiron Renton could only parry and new loan signing Willo Flood was on hand to put it into an empty net from point-blank range. The second-division side protested to referee David Somers that the ball had been out before Goodwillie had got it across but the official waved away complaints.

The lead was to last only four minutes. Good wing play down the right allowed Steven Hislop to swing in a looping cross which was duly headed past Euan McLean and into the net by new Raith signing Andy Tod.

United were next to threaten goal as a Conway free-kick from the left was met with a diving header by Goodwillie but this was turned round the post by Renton.

United continued to cause problems with some good crosses. Noel Hunt was inches away from connecting with a tempting ball from the right by Sean Dillon and then Goodwillie could only volley wide after a cross from Flood.

United then had a goal chopped off after 16 minutes when Noel Hunt was judged offside following a pinpoint Robson cross from the right and a knock-down from Craig Conway.

Raith continued to look dangerous on the break and good running by Derek Carcary was wasted when there was no-one in the box for his cut-back after 29 minutes.

Willo Flood then came close to bagging his second of the game when a good run though the middle gave him a sight of goal but he saw his effort deflected behind.

The home side took the lead for the first time in the match after 40 minutes. United failed to clear their lines and a Craig Winter shot from 12 yards was clinically dispatched into the net.

Raith could have gone in at half-time with a two-goal lead but Steven Hislop could only shoot wide of McLean’s right-hand post after being played in by Ryan Borris in the final minute of the half.

A quieter second half started brightly for United and good running from Duff down the left allowed Barry Robson a header at goal but this was easily held by keeper Renton.

With 54 minutes on the clock, United were level. Raith centre back Marvin Andrews was adjudged to have pushed Noel Hunt in the back and the referee awarded a free kick just outside the box. Barry Robson duly delighted the travelling support in the stand behind the goal by curling a low left-foot shot round the wall and inside the keeper’s right-hand post.

Moments after the equaliser, Craig Levein freshened the team up by introducing Christian Kalvenes and Morgaro Gomis in place of Stuart Duff and debutant Prince Buaben.

United continued to press and were denied just before the hour mark when a Noel Hunt header at the far post from a Robson cross was deflected wide.

Barry Robson then came close himself when his 20-yard shot went just over Renton’s bar.

Raith then made a triple substitution and minutes later goalscorer Andy Tod saw another header fly just over McLean’s bar.

In the 68th minute, good running by United winger Willo Flood was followed by a cut-back which was scrambled behind by the Raith defence as Barry Robson waited to pounce.

From the resultant corner, new United centre-back Darren Dods came close to taking the lead for his new club but his header from Barry Robson’s cross hit the bar and bounced over.

Despite not having a great deal to do in the second half, United keeper McLean showed excellent awareness when he turned a 30-yard Steven Hislop thunderbolt round the post after 71 minutes.

As the game petered out slightly towards the end, Craig Levein introduced Johnny Russell in place of David Goodwillie and Steven Robb for Willo Flood.

However, a long-range shot from Morgaro Gomis was as close as United came in the closing stages but it was easily held by Renton and the match ended level.

Squad Statistics (as at July 22nd, 2007)

2007-08 All Time

League Table (as at July 22nd, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.