Dundee Utd 1
Aberdeen 0
Scottish Cup (4th Round 2nd Replay)

Dundee Utd
1 - 0

Scottish Cup (4th Round 2nd Replay)
Monday, February 27th, 1989
Tannadice Park. Att. 21,095
3:00 PM Kick-off

Mixu Paatelainen (82)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jocky Scott & Alex Smith

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Miodrag Krivokapić
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
John Clark
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
Mixu Paatelainen
Raphael Meade
Paul Sturrock
Theo Snelders
Stewart McKimmie
Ian Robertson
Neil Simpson
Alex McLeish
Brian Irvine
Charlie Nicholas
Jim Bett
Paul Wright
Robert Connor
Brian Grant

Joe McLeod
Dave Bowman
Paul Mason
Davie Dodds

Joe McLeod for Raphael Meade (69)
Davie Dodds for Neil Simpson (89)

None. Ian Robertson (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Bob Valentine (Dundee) (Referee)

Match Report

From the moment that it was known that we were to meet Aberdeen in the Cup, the general opinion was that it would take something special to separate the two members of the New Firm. The third attempt to settle the tie certainly produced a goal worthy of booking a quarter final place. Mixu Paatelainen's superb strike eight minutes from the end did the trick, but it is one of football's ironies that Aberdeen's performance deserved better. However, it is goals that count, and we could justifiably claim to have been the better side in the first two meetings. A bright opening brought an early pot-shot by Charlie Nicholas with skipper Maurice Malpas almost beheading a Dons defender with a blistering volley. The best chance of the first half fell to Paul Wright. The ball broke loose from a goalmouth scramble and Wright's follow-up shot went fractionally the wrong side of the post. A free-kick by Bobby Connor was turned round the post by Billy Thomson just before the interval.

The second half started in Cup tie fashion with play swinging from end to end. The best of the chance of the match so far came in 66th minute when Paul Wright latched on to a Brian Irvine header, but his effort slid inches past the post as Billy Thomson came out quickly. Extra-time was again looming when the goal which finally decided the tie arrived. Only eight minutes were left when Joe McLeod forced Jim Bett to lose the ball. Billy McKinlay knocked the ball to Jim McInally, who found Mixu Paatelainen. The big Finn transferred the ball to his left foot and fired in a fierce shot which beat Snelders and went in via the inside of the post. There was no comeback this time and so we gained our first Cup win over the Dons at Tannadice and progressed to the quarter-final stages for the sixth consecutive season.

Squad Statistics (as at February 27th, 1989)

1988-89 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)31 37 - 201 -
Paul Hegarty34 29 - 68781
Miodrag Krivokapić29 24 - 24 -
Maurice Malpas26 38 - 38811
Dave Narey32 35 - 74536
John Clark24 23216022
Jim McInally25 2911265
Billy McKinlay19 291482
Mixu Paatelainen22 35156126
Raphael Meade26 227227
Paul Sturrock32 6 - 566170
Joe McLeod (sub)21 4 - 202

League Table (as at February 27th, 1989)

No league table has been added for this season.