Partick Th 0
Dundee Utd 2 (AET)
League Cup (2nd Round)

Partick Th 

0 - 2

Dundee Utd

League Cup (2nd Round)
Tuesday, August 16th, 1988
Firhill. Att. 3,890
7:30 PM Kick-off

None. Mixu Paatelainen (112)
Mixu Paatelainen (118)

Team Managers
Billy Lamont Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Archie McLean
Alan Dinnie
John Workman
Bryan Purdie
Billy McGghie
Jim Dempsey
Pat Kelly
John Mitchell
John Flood
Pat Docherty
Kenny Watson
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Mixu Paatelainen
Ian Redford
Dave Bowman
Billy McKinlay
John Clark
Hamish French
Kevin Gallacher

Jim McGinley
Ian Thomson
Gary McGinnis
Ian McPhee

Jim McGinley for Kenny Watson (73)
Ian Thomson for John Flood (98)
Ian McPhee for Dave Bowman (46)
Gary McGinnis for Hamish French (100)

John Mitchell (63) None.

Red Cards
Pat Kelly (39) None.

Match Officials

Mike McGinley (Clydebank) (Referee)

Match Report

Two Goals by Mixu Paatelainen in the final six minutes of extra-time finally put paid to Thistle's plucky display. Although we completely dominated the entire two hours, it was only as the home side tired that their defensive shell was finally cracked.

Kevin Gallacher was at the centre of the early action, producing a fine piece of individual play, making space before chipping in a 25 yarder which McLean, the Jags' keeper, tipped over the bar. Five minutes later a surging run by John dark again brought McLean into action, saving from Kevin Gallacher. For the remainder of the half our scoring chances were limited to long range shots.

Six minutes from half-time. Partick were reduced to 10 men when Kelly was sent off after the referee consulted the far touchline linesman. The second half opened with furious activity around the Jags' goal. McLean touched over a Kevin Gallacher drive. Hamish French's header from an acute angle struck the post and Mixu Paatelainen had a shot from 18 yards turned round the post, but the Thistle goal remained intact.

Partick may have been reduced to ten men, but as we ourselves have proved in the past, that is not always the disadvantage that it may appear. Thistle battled on and had their one scoring opportunity of the game when a corner wasn't cleared properly and the ball landed at McGhie's feet but he shot over from ten yards.

Jags' keeper McLean atoned for some earlier errors with a fine save from Hamish French, but as full-time approached Partick stubbornly held on, though they did have a let-off when a Jags defender handball wasn't penalised.

Into extra-time and the only real chance in the first period was a Mixu Paatelainen header which drifted past. We looked to have made the breakthrough in the 111th minute but McLean brilliantly saved Mixu Paatelainen's header from a Gary McGinnis cross. Relief was universal seconds later when an Ian McPhee corner wasn't cleared and Mixu Paatelainen pounced to stab the ball home. Tiredness in the Thistle defence allowed us the luxury of a second goal when a short pass-back was picked up by Mixu Paatelainen who rounded McLean to slot home his second goal of the evening.

Squad Statistics (as at August 16th, 1988)

1988-89 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)66 0 - 0 -
Dave Narey67 0 - 0 -
Paul Hegarty69 0 - 0 -
Maurice Malpas61 0 - 0 -
Ian Redford64 0 - 0 -
Billy McKinlay54 0 - 0 -
Dave Bowman60 0 - 0 -
John Clark59 0 - 0 -
Mixu Paatelainen57 0 - 0 -
Hamish French60 0 - 0 -
Kevin Gallacher57 0 - 0 -
Gary McGinnis (sub)60 0 - 0 -
Ian McPhee (sub)63 0 - 0 -

League Table (as at August 16th, 1988)

No league table has been added for this season.