Dundee Utd 0
Morton 2
League Cup (Sectional Tie)

Dundee Utd
0 - 2

League Cup (Sectional Tie)
Wednesday, August 20th, 1969
Tannadice Park. Att. 6,985
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Brian Gallacher (22)
Joe Harper (44)

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Hal Stewart

Starting Eleven
1. Don Mackay
2. Billy Bremner
3. Jim Cameron
4. Dennis Gillespie
5. Doug Smith
6. Stuart Markland
7. Andy Rolland
8. Ian Letford
9. Kenny Cameron
10. Alec Reid
11. Ian Mitchell
Leif Neilsen .1
Willie Fraser .2
John Murray .3
Gerry Sweeney .4
Billy Gray .5
Stan Rankin .6
Joe Harper .7
Bobby Collins .8
Joe Mason .9
Willie Allan .10
Brian Gallacher .11

12. Davie Wilson
Tommy Coakley .12

Davie Wilson for Ian Mitchell (81)
Tommy Coakley for Willie Allan (53)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

W. Anderson (East Kilbride) (Referee)

Match Report

United required a positive result from this match if they were to qualify for the League Cup quarter-final. Morton meanwhile were looking to top their section. Around 8,000 fans entered Tannadice to these sides meet each other for the second time in a week.

There were few goal-mouth incidents in the early stages of this game as the fast tackling defences dominated. It was 21 minutes before the first opportunity. It came for Morton right-half Sweeney who fired a shot straight at MacKay. A minute later Morton took the lead with their first effort. Gillespie lost the ball when attempting a turn and Morton collected. Brian Gallacher, the left winger, took the ball and wasted no time in dispatching past MacKay. United were unlucky not to score in 36 minutes when Mitchell hit the bar. Cameron then came close when his effort was deflected off the head of Rankin. Then just on half time Morton doubled their lead. After a melee in the penalty area, Joe Harper scored from close in. In injury time, keeper Nielsen beat down a tremendous shot from Andy Rolland and was injured going for the ball a second time when Kenny Cameron tried to make contact.

Morton were keen to hold onto their away lead in the second half but suffered a blow when Willie Allan was taken off with a twisted knee. After this they moved to a very defensive formation. United kept chipping away and in 77 minutes Rolland tried his luck from long range but it was saved well by Nielsen. With nine minutes remaining and the fans streaming out, Ian Mitchell had to come off limping badly. Five minutes from time Doug Smith had a great run upfield but Nielsen saved the centre half's shot at the near post. The score remained 2-0 to the away side. United, although they tried hard, lacked the power and penetration to master a Bobby Collins generated Greenock side. Dennis Gillespie was moved up front in the second half to try and turn the game but he rarely had an opportunity. The result put paid to chances Dundee United had of qualifying for the League Cup quarter-final and at the same time clinched Morton's place at the top of the section.

Squad Statistics (as at August 20th, 1969)

1969-70 All Time
Don Mackay (GK)29 4 - 178 -
Andy Rolland26 4 - 789
Stuart Markland21 2 - 11 -
Billy Bremner - 2 - 2 -
Doug Smith32 4 - 3772
Jim Cameron22 4 - 66 -
Alec Reid22 4 - 463
Ian Letford - 2 - 2 -
Kenny Cameron26 314637
Dennis Gillespie33 4 - 405112
Ian Mitchell23 31235106
Davie Wilson (sub)32 4 - 7215

League Table (as at August 20th, 1969)

No league table has been added for this season.