Dundee Utd 2
Leicester City 2 (0-3 on pens)
Texaco Cup (1st Round 2nd Leg)

Dundee Utd
2 - 2
(0-3 on pens.)
Leicester City 

Texaco Cup (1st Round 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, September 27th, 1972
Tannadice Park. Att. 8,000
7:30 PM Kick-off

Kenny Cameron (72)
Doug Smith (pen.) (117)
Len Glover (56)
Frank Worthington (99)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jimmy Bloomfield

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Doug Smith
Frank Kopel
Jim Cameron
Stuart Markland
Jackie Copland
Sandy White
George Fleming
Pat Gardner
Kenny Cameron
Ian Mitchell
Peter Shilton
Steve Whitworth
Dennis Rofe
Alan Woollett
Graham Cross
Alan Birchenall
John Farrington
Mike Stringfellow
Keith Weller
Frank Worthington
Len Glover

Sandy Davie
Andy Rolland
Malcolm Partridge
Mark Wallington

Andy Rolland for Jim Cameron
Malcolm Partridge for Mike Stringfellow

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Alistair Mackenzie (Larbert) (Referee)

Match Report

The man responsible for denying the home side progress to the next round was in a word - Shilton. He along with Alan and Frank Worthington were the star names in the Leicester side. Jim McLean had promised that United would go on all-out attack and it was those cavaliering tactics which saw Leicester take the lead early in the second period through Lee Glover.

The visitors had come more and more into the game towards the end of a first half which failed to live up to pre-match expectations. Indeed there was a warning for the Tangerines when a freekick was headed on by Stringfellow to Waddington, but he headed tamely into the arms of Hamish McAlpine from just three yards out. United swept down field and Shilton made one of several outstanding saves, keeping out a 30 yard piledriver from Doug Smith.

The action intensified with Shilton making another great save, this time from Sandy White. United had good claims for a penalty rejected when Weller charged Jim Cameron off the ball. With 18 minutes left. United deservedly squared the tie. From a throw-in on the right Paddy Gardner worked his way along the bye-line before shooting for goal. Shilton stopped the shot, but couldn't hold it and Kenny Cameron was lying handy to lash home a right foot shot from six yards.

Although United attacked to the end, when the allotted ninety minutes was up the teams were still level, so it was into extra-time and nine minutes into that additional period, Frank Worthington regained the lead for Leicester when he rifled a great shot into the far corner as the visitors were seen as the dominant attacking force for the first time in the match.

However, United stuck to the task. Five minutes from the end Shilton produced a marvellous one-handed save from Paddy Gardner and two minutes later the drama reached was served when Doug Smith made no mistake from the spot. So it was into a penalty shoot-out United's first experience of the now customary method of settling cup ties. Worthington sent McAlpine the wrong way to score first, but Doug Smith then failed to repeat what he had done five minutes earlier and pulled his spot-kick wide of the target. No problems for Glover who made it 2-0 and the writinq was on the wall when Shilton saved from George Fleming. Glover converted the visitor's third and United were out when Kenny Cameron stepped up and missed to enable Leicester to flo through 3-0 on penalties after the sides had tied 3-3 on aggregate.

Squad Statistics (as at September 27th, 1972)

1972-73 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)24 13 - 81 -
Doug Smith35 12551016
Stuart Markland24 6 - 912
Jim Cameron25 8 - 1961
Frank Kopel23 131222
Jackie Copland25 9 - 5113
George Fleming24 4 - 161
Sandy White21 135269
Pat Gardner28 124244
Kenny Cameron29 9612271
Ian Mitchell26 62293132
Andy Rolland (sub)29 12 - 21221

League Table (as at September 27th, 1972)

No league table has been added for this season.