Dundee Utd 2
Dundee 1
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
2 - 1

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, April 8th, 1989
Tannadice Park. Att. 11,912
3:00 PM Kick-off

Paul Sturrock (9)
Kevin Gallacher (28)
Wes Saunders (58)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Gordon Wallace

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Jim McInally
Charlie Adam
Billy McKinlay
John Clark
Ray McKinnon
Kevin Gallacher
Paul Sturrock
Bobby Geddes
Stuart Forsyth
Rab Shannon
Steven Frail
Gordon Chisholm
Wes Saunders
Albert Craig
Ian Angus
Keith Wright
Duncan Campbell
Joe McBride

Gary McGinnis
J Alan Irvine
Stuart Rafferty
Graham Harvey

J Alan Irvine for Charlie Adam (60)
Gary McGinnis for Ray McKinnon (81)
Stuart Rafferty for Albert Craig (45)
Graham Harvey for Rab Shannon (51)

John Clark (81)
Rab Shannon (48)
Keith Wright (71)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Bob Valentine (Dundee) (Referee)

Match Report

Win number five maintained our 100% record in derby matches this season, but the fact the result was so close after leading by two goals at the interval was something of a disappointment to everyone at Tannadice.

Dundee certainly had the first real chance when a McBride header found Chisholm all on his own, but the Dundee skipper appeared unable to forget his defensive role and unaccountably hooked the ball to safety! Dundee were quickly made to pay for passing up that golden opportunity, Paul Sturrock chased a long through ball from Billy McKinlay. Paul won the race with Geddes and his chip bounced towards goal and entered the net despite the presence of Wes Saunders, who failed to clear. After 28 minutes we went further ahead. Raymond McKinnon, making his League debut found Paul Sturrock, Saunders won the ball, but the ball ran to Kevin Gallacher, who delicately chipped the ball over Geddes from 25 yards. Charlie Adam, making his home debut, then went close with a looping header and then almost scored after some delightful exchanges between Charlie and Paul Hegarty.

Thirteen minutes into the second half Dundee pulled one back. McBride's corner was headed down by Chisholm to Wes Saunders, who wheeled to sweep the ball low past Billy Thomson. Dundee came back into the game but rarely posed a real threat to our defence. In fact, we might well have gone further in front when Paul Sturrock was through on Geddes, but the Dundee keeper forced him wide and there were no takers for Paul's cross. In the final minute Dundee's appeals for a penalty when a Saunders shot hit John Clark were waved aside by referees Bob Valentine, who was probably officiating at Tannadice for the last time before he retires at the end of the season.

Squad Statistics (as at April 8th, 1989)

1988-89 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)31 44 - 208 -
Paul Hegarty34 36 - 69481
Maurice Malpas26 45139512
Dave Narey32 41 - 75136
Billy McKinlay19 361552
Charlie Adam27 2 - 2 -
Ray McKinnon18 1 - 1 -
John Clark24 25216222
Jim McInally25 3611335
Kevin Gallacher22 401216038
Paul Sturrock32 121572171
Gary McGinnis (sub)25 14 - 831
J Alan Irvine (sub)30 6 - 254

League Table (as at April 8th, 1989)

No league table has been added for this season.