St Mirren 1
Dundee Utd 0
Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)

St Mirren 

1 - 0

Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)
Saturday, March 6th, 1982
Love Street. Att. 9,245
3:00 PM Kick-off

Tony Fitzpatrick (69) None.

Team Managers
Ricky McFarlane Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
John McCormack
Alex Beckett
Tony Fitzpatrick
Mark Fulton
Jackie Copland
Jimmy Bone
Billy Stark
Frank McDougall
Frank McAvennie
Ian Scanlon
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Richard Gough
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds

Lex Richardson
Jim Boag
Iain Phillip
Ian Gibson

Lex Richardson for Frank McAvennie (45) Iain Phillip for Richard Gough (46)

Mark Fulton John Holt

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Brian McGinlay (Balfron) (Referee)

Match Report

Cup Day in Scotland pitched us in battle with St Mirren at Love Street, a ground United had failed to win at in their last six attempts. After the terrible weather over the winter period, the pre-match schoolkids shoot-out was postponed to give the pitch a chance. United's only change for this quarter final tie was Derek Stark in for Ralph Milne, who was out with flu.

The visitors were first to threaten, with Richard Gough going close from a low Eamonn Bannon corner. Hamish McAlpine then saved well from a Frank MacAvennie header, with the Paisley striker receiving treatment for a bad head knock. (Holt booked). Paul Sturrock laid the ball off to Billy Kirkwood just inside the area, but his shot went the wrong side of the post, and at the other end MacAvennie went close again, shooting over after a good run. St Mirren had a penalty claim waved away by referee Brian McGinley when Frank McDougall went down in the box. Five minutes before the interval, Kirkwood sent Sturrock clear and the striker drew out Billy Thomson, but the keeper smothered the ball from Sturrock's shot. Just before the whistle, Sturrock again tried his luck from 20 yards, but Thomson dealt with the low shot.

St Mirren came close after the break, with McAlpine holding on to McDougall's low shot. Davie Dodds then should have done better when the home defence were caught out with a long ball. St Mirren then took the lead in the 69th minute, when an Ian Scanlon corner on the right was not cleared and Tony Fitzpatrick volleyed past McAlpine into the roof of the net from 20 yards. United failed to find any reply in the final 20 minutes and our interest in the Scottish Cup for the season was ended.

Squad Statistics (as at March 6th, 1982)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)34 41 - 5083
Dave Narey25 41237924
Richard Gough19 291331
Derek Stark23 24 - 1443
Maurice Malpas19 12 - 12 -
Paul Hegarty27 39233251
John Holt25 38518316
Billy Kirkwood23 38720847
Eamonn Bannon23 431712934
Paul Sturrock25 371831396
Davie Dodds23 401215857
Iain Phillip (sub)31 28 - 1261

League Table (as at March 6th, 1982)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 22 14 5 3 +22 33
2. St Mirren 21 10 7 4 +10 27
3. Rangers 21 9 8 4 +8 26
4. Hibernian 24 8 9 7 +6 25
5. Aberdeen 20 8 7 5 +6 23
6. DUNDEE UTD 20 8 6 6 +10 22
7. Morton 23 7 6 10 -12 20
8. Airdrie 22 5 6 11 -18 16
9. Partick Th 23 3 8 12 -14 14
10. Dundee 22 5 2 15 -18 12

League results since United's last match
3rd March 1982
6th March 1982
Partick Th1-2Hibernian