Dundee Utd 1
Dundee 0
Scottish Cup (3rd Round Replay)

Dundee Utd
1 - 0

Scottish Cup (3rd Round Replay)
Tuesday, January 23rd, 1990
Tannadice Park. Att. 15,503
7:30 PM Kick-off

John Clark (69)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Gordon Wallace

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Allan Preston
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
John Clark
Michael O'Neill
Darren Jackson
Tom Carson
Alan Dinnie
Rab Shannon
Gordon Chisholm
Stewart Forsyth
Mark Craib
Albert Craig
Gordon McLeod
Keith Wright
Billy Dodds
Shaun McSkimming

Dave Bowman
Paddy Connolly
Steve Frail
Joe McBride

Dave Bowman for Michael O'Neill (80)
Joe McBride for Shaun McSkimming (77)
Steve Frail for Mark Craib (86)

None. Billy Doddds (58)
Rab Shannon (83)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Jim McCluskey (Stewarton) (Referee)

Match Report

A goal by John Clark, his first in the Scottish Cup, earned us a home tie with Queen of the South and meant that we had eliminated Dundee from the Scottish Cup for the fourth consecutive season If Dundee had dominated the first meeting, there was no doubt that we deserved our victory in a hard fought Cup-tie. Dundee certainly battled away, but hardly troubled Alan Main, whereas Tom Carson in Dundee's goal produced his now seemingly inevitable top class Tannadice performances until even he had to admit defeat with a little over 20 minutes left. The Tannadice pitch was heavy with a slight trace of snow following a heavy snow shower just prior to the match. Whilst Dundee made no changes from Saturday's tie, Allan Preston returned after a three month absence. Michael O'Neill replaced Kevin Gallacher and Freddy Van Der Hoorn came in for Dave Bowman. The match opened quietly and it was some twenty minutes before either 'keeper was called into serious action. Michael O'Neill chased a long throughball from Allan Preston and Rab Shannon almost sliced the ball past Tom Carson. Eight minutes later the big Dundee 'keeper came to their rescue when he turned away a fiercely driven John Clark free-kick. Dundee's most threatening attack of the half and indeed the match arrived shortly before half-time. Dodds made progress down the right and sent over a cross to the far post, but the incoming Shaun McSkimming failed to control the ball first time and Dave Narey hammered the ball to safety.

By and large it had been a subdued opening 45 minutes, but that was all forgotten as the second half got off to a stirring start. Tom Carson brought off another of his accustomed fine saves eight minutes into the second half when he dived full length to palm away Mixu Paatelainen's hooked shot which was destined for the far corner. The deadlock was finally broken in the 69th minute. Freddy Van Der Hoorn slung over a cross from the left and Jim Mclnally's head flick on found John Clark coming in from the right and he steered a low drive into the far corner of the net. Two minutes later John sent a header wide of the target as we endeavoured to seal victory. Dundee did stage a late rally but without posing any serious threat of snatching an equaliser.

Squad Statistics (as at January 23rd, 1990)

1989-90 All Time
Alan Main (GK)22 17 - 30 -
Miodrag Krivokapić30 20 - 511
Allan Preston20 4 - 171
Dave Narey33 28 - 78436
Freddy van der Hoorn26 282282
Maurice Malpas27 31243114
Mixu Paatelainen22 2669734
Jim McInally25 3031678
John Clark25 27319425
Michael O'Neill20 247247
Darren Jackson23 163173
Dave Bowman (sub)25 2711574

League Table (as at January 23rd, 1990)

No league table has been added for this season.