Hearts 3
Dundee Utd 2
League (Premier Division)


3 - 2

Dundee Utd

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, January 27th, 1990
Tynecastle Park. Att. 13,083
3:00 PM Kick-off

Walter Kidd (4)
Scott Crabbe (40)
John Robertson (pen.) (65)
Paddy Connolly (69)
Mixu Paatelainen (pen.) (82)

Team Managers
Alex MacDonald Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Henry Smith
Walter Kidd
Tosh McKinlay
Craig Levein
David McCreery
Dave McPherson
John Colquhoun
Jimmy Sandison
John Robertson
Scott Crabbe
Eamonn Bannon
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
John Clark
Ray McKinnon
John O'Neil
Paddy Connolly

Gary Mackay
Iain Ferguson
Dave Bowman
Darren Jackson

Gary Mackay for David McCreery (24)
Iain Ferguson for John Colquhoun (71)
Darren Jackson for John Clark (71)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Sandy Roy (Aberdeen) (Referee)

Match Report

It is five years since we last won at Tynecastle and after giving Hearts three goals of a start we almost grabbed a point. Our generosity began as early as the sixth minute when Walter Kidd's swerving cross cum shot slipped through keeper Alan Main's hands and sneaked into the net at the near post. It was the first goal that Alan had conceded in six games, but he didn't allow the errors to upset him. In the 19th minute he brilliantly tipped a Sandison shot from the edge of the box round the post. Crabbe then carved out a scoring chance but fortunately Robertson hit fresh air when trying to convert Crabbe's cut-back. Our best opportunity of the half was as the result of an error by Levein. Paddy Connolly blocked his clearance upfield and latched on to the rebound, but his chip, through beating Smith floated wide of the near post. Hearts retaliated almost immediately with substitute Gary Mackay clipping the top of the bar with a dipping 30 yard shot. Alan Main then pulled off his second miraculous save of the half . Somehow he turned Crabbe's shot over the bar when a goal seemed inevitable. However even Alan had to admit defeat in the 39th minute. Colquhoun's cross landed at the feet of Scott Crabbe who hammered the ball high into the roof of the net.

We opened the second half with Maurice Malpas firing in a shot which Smith saved. Hearts to a certain extend had sat on their laurels and when John Robertson scored from the spot after Crabbe had been brought down, it was their first shot on goal after the break. Three minutes later Levein was short with his back header and Paddy Connolly stole in, rounded Smith and slipped the ball into the empty net. Freddy Van Der Hoorn then failed to find a way through the Hearts defence when he found himself in front of goal. However, we did pull another goal back with nine minutes left when John O'Neill was brought down by McKinlay and Mixu Paatelainen knocked in the resultant penalty. Despite that rally we were unable to grab an equaliser and so our dismal record at Tynecastle continued.

Squad Statistics (as at January 27th, 1990)

1989-90 All Time
Alan Main (GK)22 18 - 31 -
Freddy van der Hoorn26 292292
Dave Narey33 29 - 78536
Maurice Malpas27 32243214
Miodrag Krivokapić30 21 - 521
Mixu Paatelainen22 2779835
Ray McKinnon19 2 - 3 -
John Clark25 28319525
John O'Neil18 5 - 6 -
Jim McInally25 3131688
Paddy Connolly19 83103
Darren Jackson (sub)23 173183

League Table (as at January 27th, 1990)

No league table has been added for this season.