Dundee Utd 4
Motherwell 2 (AET)
League Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)

Dundee Utd
4 - 2

League Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, September 24th, 1980
Tannadice Park. Att. 5,628
7:30 PM Kick-off

John Holt (22)
Paul Sturrock (73)
Paul Sturrock (111)
Ralph Milne (113)
Willie Irvine (66)
Ian Clinging (93)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Ally MacLeod

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Derek Stark
3. Iain Phillip
4. Walter Smith
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Dave Narey
7. Eamonn Bannon
8. Paul Sturrock
9. Willie Pettigrew
10. John Holt
11. Davie Dodds
Hugh Sproat .1
Tommy O'Rourke .2
Ian MacLeod .3
Joe Smith .4
Joe Carson .5
Gordon Soutar .6
Steve McLelland .7
Albert Kidd .8
John McKeever .9
John Gahagan .10
Ian Clinging .11

12. Ralph Milne
14. Billy Kirkwood
Willie Irvine .12
Joe Wark .14

Ralph Milne for Walter Smith (56)
Billy Kirkwood for Willie Pettigrew (101)

None. Albert Kidd (20)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Eddie Pringle (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

Trailing 2-1 from the first leg at Fir Park there was pressure on the team ahead of this third round second Leg tie. There were three changes from the team that defeated St Mirren on Saturday, with Frank Kopel, Graeme Payne and Billy Kirkwood making way for John Holt, Iain Phillip and Willie Pettigrew.

After a bad foul by Joe Smith in the 22nd minute, United took a quick free kick on the left, and Paul Sturrock angled in a shot which Hugh Sproat could only parry into the path of John Holt who cancelled out the visitors aggregate advantage.

United fell behind again in the second half, when Motherwell substitute Willie Irvine netted in the 66th minute to put his side in front overall, but Paul Sturrock made it 2-1 on the night seven minutes later, and with the teams level on aggregate after 90 minutes, the tie went to extra-time.

Ian Clinging put the First Division side back into the driving seat in the 93rd minute taking advantage of a disastrous United defensive error in the first half of extra-time. The last 15 minutes was a difference story though. The home side however bounced back and were remarkably went 4-2 ahead on the night during the second half of extra time. Paul Sturrock's second of the night in 111 minutes was immediately followed by a Ralph Milne goal in 113 to leave a shell shocked Motherwell side with ultimately too much to do to get back in it. This proved to be the end of the scoring as United progressed into a 4th round meeting with Clydebank.

Squad Statistics (as at September 24th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)32 13 - 4223
Derek Stark21 13 - 952
John Holt23 3111211
Dave Narey24 12129621
Walter Smith32 3 - 1833
Paul Hegarty26 13425143
Iain Phillip29 9 - 581
Eamonn Bannon22 133447
Willie Pettigrew26 1 - 5122
Davie Dodds22 618423
Paul Sturrock23 13623261
Ralph Milne (sub)19 103316
Billy Kirkwood (sub)22 13 - 13728

League Table (as at September 24th, 1980)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Rangers 6 4 2 0 +14 10
2. Aberdeen 6 4 2 0 +12 10
3. Celtic 6 4 1 1 +8 9
4. Airdrie 6 1 4 1 -2 6
5. St Mirren 6 2 1 3 +1 5
6. Morton 6 2 1 3 -7 5
7. Hearts 6 2 0 4 -3 4
8. DUNDEE UTD 6 0 4 2 -4 4
9. Partick Th 6 2 0 4 -7 4
10. Kilmarnock 6 1 1 4 -12 3

League results since United's last match

Manager's Programme Notes

Good evening and welcome back to a second leg Bell's League Cup tie against Motherwell — from as you can guess, a far from satisfied Tannadice manager. Since last I spoke to you through this column, we have completed four games against Rangers, Airdrie and St.Mirren at Premier League level, and UEFA Cup opponents Slask Wroclaw. From these have come a solitary Premier point at Broomfield and a satisfactory 0-0 scoreline from our Polish excursion, in my opinion a far-from-good return for the current United side. The first three games in that sequence were hard enough to take considering that we had opportun'ities in all of them to record victories — but last Saturday's display at Love Street just simply was not acceptable. Following the long and often tedious journey to Poland and back last week I just might have excused the side had they ran out of steam after ithe interval last week-end. Instead, it was only in those final 45 minutes that certain of the players showed anything at all resembling their true form — a fact which made our trip to Paisley one of the most disappointing afternoons of my career.

As I have pointed out in tfhe past, too many of the current side appear to me to be lacking in hunger for the game, a commodity which will have to be acquired in the immediate future, else we will be outwith any challenging position for the top honours this season. I personally felt that last term's League Cup triumph would have led to a renewed appetite for more honours, that has clearly not been the case. A drastic change in attitude is required in the side — and it had better start in tonight's Bell's League Cup return against a Motherwell side which leads us by a goal at this stage.