Dundee Utd 2
Rangers 4
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
2 - 4

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, September 6th, 1980
Tannadice Park. Att. 16,269
3:00 PM Kick-off

Davie Dodds (70)
Graeme Payne (76)
Davie Cooper (5)
Colin McAdam (24)
John McDonald (29)
Paul Hegarty (o.g.) (44)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
John Greig

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Frank Kopel
Dave Narey
Derek Addison
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Paul Sturrock
Graeme Payne
Davie Dodds
Peter McCloy
Sandy Jardine
Alex Miller
Tom Forsyth
Colin Jackson
Jim Bett
Tommy McLean
John McDonald
Colin McAdam
Ian Redford
Davie Cooper

Iain Phillip
Ralph Milne
Gregor Stevens
Gordon Dalziel

Ralph Milne for Eamonn Bannon
Iain Phillip for Derek Addison

None. None.

Red Cards
Dave Narey (89)
Match Officials

D Ramsay (Edinburgh) (Referee)


Match Report

United had come close to scoring twice in the opening few minutes in front of a packed Tannadice, but it was Rangers who took the lead, controversially, in the fifth minute. With Colin McAdam looking well offside, Davie Cooper was allowed to play on by referee Douglas Ramsay and fired the ball past McAlpine to put Rangers in front. This brought a storm of protest from the United fans, bench and players, with Dave Narey booked for his objections. In the 20th minute, United should have equalised after a scramble in the box, where Paul Sturrock's shot was blocked by Sandy Jardine and Narey headed the re-bound past the post. Paul Sturrock was brought down by Colin Jackson in the box just as he was about to shoot, however the referee wasn't interested. Minutes later Rangers went further ahead when Colin McAdam managed to beat Narey to head the ball past McAlpine after a long kick-out from Peter McCloy bounced just once near the 18 yard line. Rangers went 3-0 up on the half hour mark, when Colin McAdam met an Ian Redford cross to nod the ball onto John MacDonald who headed home. United pushed to pull one back before half-time, but poor finishing and an own goal from skipper Paul Hegarty from a Tommy McLean cross saw United go in 4-0 down at the interval.

United were determined to save face in the second half, and nearly pulled one back when McCloy pushed a ferocious Eamonn Bannon 30 yarder over the bar. In the 63rd minute Tom Forsyth caught Davie Dodds with an elbow in the box and United were awarded a penalty, however McCloy saved Sturrock's spot kick. United finally got on the scoresheet when Davie Dodds pounced on a McCloy fumble, and 6 minutes later Graeme Payne scored another for United to reduce the deficit to two. In the dying minutes, Narey received his second yellow card for a foul on Miller and was sent off at the end of an extremely controversial match.

Squad Statistics (as at September 6th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)32 9 - 4183
Paul Hegarty26 9424743
Frank Kopel31 3 - 34313
Derek Stark21 9 - 912
Dave Narey24 9129321
Eamonn Bannon22 93407
Derek Addison25 9112413
Billy Kirkwood22 9 - 13328
Davie Dodds21 218023
Paul Sturrock23 9422859
Graeme Payne24 8323816
Iain Phillip (sub)29 7 - 561
Ralph Milne (sub)19 82295

League Table (as at September 6th, 1980)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Aberdeen 4 3 1 0 +11 7
2. Rangers 4 3 1 0 +7 7
3. Celtic 4 3 0 1 +6 6
4. Hearts 4 2 0 2 0 4
5. Airdrie 4 1 2 1 -2 4
6. St Mirren 4 1 1 2 0 3
7. United 4 0 3 1 -2 3
8. Kilmarnock 4 1 1 2 -3 3
9. Partick Th 4 1 0 3 -7 2
10. Morton 4 0 1 3 -10 1

Manager's Programme Notes

A warm welcome back to Tannadice for this afternoon's visit of a Rangers side which is clearly a much improved one this season. As our record has shown the men from Ibrox can scarcely be voted amongst our favourite opponents, and their increased threat as shown so far this term will doubtless make our task even harder. As far as we here at Tannadice are concerned our own performance will have to take a similar upsurge from the thoroughly disappointing form shown in our Bell's League Cup first-leg clash against Motherwell at Fir Park in midweek.

The players were warned before the game that Motherwell are in my opinion categorised alongside clubs such as Hibs and Dundee whose resources warrant higher stations than they hold at the present time in the Scottish game. As far as the reverse is concerned the reason is not all that hard to find for those who have been keeping in touch with our progress so far this season. For in only a single game — our home tie against Cowdenbeath — has the opposition failed to find our net. That of course is a complete reversal of the case from last season when our defence was a department of the side feared by practically every set of forwards in the top division.

Therefore a vast improvement in concentration is required from those at the back — else further indiscretions will occur. And I say to the players that I sincerely hope that they don't think that things are going to come good all by themselves, without any help
from the individuals concerned. Sides only get out what they put into games and clearly this afternoon's clash against Rangers is the ideal occasion for the players to realise exactly that.