Dunfermline 3
Dundee Utd 1
League Cup (Quarter Final)


3 - 1

Dundee Utd

League Cup (Quarter Final)
Tuesday, September 3rd, 1991
East End Park. Att. 7,350
7:30 PM Kick-off

George O'Boyle (35)
Craig Robertson (42)
Istvan Kosma (49)
Mixu Paatelainen (57)

Team Managers
Iain Munro Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Andy Rhodes
Tommy Wilson
Eddie Cunnington
Norrie McCathie
Davie Moyes
Andy Williamson
Billy Davies
George O'Boyle
Scott Leitch
Craig Robertson
Istvan Kosma
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Freddy van der Hoorn
Gary Bollan
Mixu Paatelainen
Andy McLaren
Billy McKinlay
John Clark
Dave Bowman
Hamish French

Eddie Gallacher
Derek McWilliams
Michael O'Neill
Duncan Ferguson

Eddie Gallacher for Craig Robertson (65) Duncan Ferguson for Billy McKinlay (46)
Michael O'Neill for Hamish French (72)

Tommy Wilson (73) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Brian McGinlay (Balfron) (Referee)

Match Report

In our two League visits to East End Park last season, we dominated both games yet ended up losing by a single goal. On this occasion, we were In even greater control, yet at one stage trailed by three goals, completely against the run of play. As early as the first minute Wilson came to the Pars rescue when he blocked a shot from Mixu Paatelainen at the far post. It was one way traffic in that opening period and on the quarter of an hour mark Rhodes saved well from a Gary Bollan header. Rhodes made comfortable saves from John Clark and Mixu Paatelainen and then saw a shot from Hamish French whistle past as we kept up the attacking momentum. Dunfermline hadn't been seen as an attacking force until the 27th minute, but they almost took the lead when Kozma blazed in a volley which Alan Main diverted for a corner with his legs. Davie Moyes sent a header from the resultant corner wide.

We continued to blaze a trail towards Rhodes in the Pars goal and he saved a header from Mixu Paatelainen. Then in the 35th minute and completely against the run of play Dunfermline went ahead when George O'Boyle's shot from 30 yards took a deflection off John Clark and dipped to deceive Alan Main. Back we went into attack and Rhodes beat out a Billy McKinlay volley from the edge of the box five minutes before half-time. However, despite being encamped in their half for most of the first period, we, incredibly, found ourselves two behind in the 42nd minute when Craig Robertson headed a Wilson cross into the far corner.

At half-time Duncan Ferguson replaced Billy McKinlay who was injured and the striker almost scored with his first touch. Rhodes, saving Duncan's header from a Mixu Paatelainen cross. Seconds later Rhodes was again in action, keeping out a header from John Clark. Despite this second half offensive we found ourselves unbelievably three down in the 48th minute when luck again deserted us. Istvan Kozma picked up a clearance from a corner and crashed in a shot which took a deflection off Dave Narey and went in via the underside of the bar.

Nine minutes later, we finally drew some reward for our intense pressure when Mixu Paatelainen forced home a Gary Bollan cross. Rhodes then made outstanding saves from Freddy Van Der Hoorn and Gary Bollan as we endeavoured to get back into the match, but despite continued pressure bringing a clutch of corners and some frantic moments in the heart of the Pars defence, we failed to make further inroads into the Pars two goal lead and consequently made our exit from the Skol Cup for this year.

Squad Statistics (as at September 3rd, 1991)

1991-92 All Time
Alan Main (GK)23 4 - 90 -
Maurice Malpas29 8 - 49815
Gary Bollan18 3 - 5 -
Dave Narey35 4 - 80736
Freddy van der Hoorn27 5 - 924
Dave Bowman27 8 - 1996
Mixu Paatelainen24 8214640
Andy McLaren18 6 - 6 -
John Clark26 6123631
Billy McKinlay22 811335
Hamish French27 519416
Michael O'Neill (sub)22 745011
Duncan Ferguson (sub)19 31175

League Table (as at September 3rd, 1991)

No league table has been added for this season.