Dundee Utd 2
Hibernian 0
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
2 - 0

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, October 13th, 1979
Tannadice Park. Att. 7,487
3:00 PM Kick-off

Willie Pettigrew (27)
Ralph Milne (74)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Eddie Turnbull

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Derek Stark
3. Frank Kopel
4. Iain Phillip
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Jim Kerr
7. Billy Kirkwood
8. Paul Sturrock
9. Willie Pettigrew
10. George Fleming
11. Graeme Payne
Jim McArthur .1
Ally Brazil .2
Jim Brown .3
Gordon Rae .4
Craig Paterson .5
Jackie McNamara .6
Ally MacLeod .7
Colin Campbell .8
Joe Ward .9
Ralph Callachan .10
Tony Higgins .11

12. Davie Dodds
14. Ralph Milne
Bobby Hutchinson .12
Paul McGlinchey .14

Ralph Milne for Jim Kerr (70)
Paul McGlinchey for Jim Brown (57)
Bobby Hutchinson for Joe Ward (62)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

K Stewart (Glasgow) (Referee)

Match Report

United brought in Jim Kerr to their line up for this match against Hibs to deputise for the injured Dave Narey. Paul Sturrock came into the attack to the exclusion of Dodds who was given a place on the bench. Hibs, as expected, brought back 'keeper McArthur but made several positional changes.

United had the first chance when Payne floated an audacious effort just over the bar. Hibs replied with Callachan who fired wide on the counter attack. Both teams were struggling to control the ball on a greasy surface. With nine minutes played, there were heated claims for a United penalty when Sturrock was bundled over suspiciously close to the line. After 27 minutes, United took the lead. Payne cut the ball back from the right and Willie Pettigrew slid the ball neatly past McArthur to put United in front. Just on the half-hour mark, Sturrock the ball a stride too far when faced by an out-rushing McArthur, who parried away. It was all United and a luckless Pettigrew got in the way of a Sturrock goal bound shot from 25 yards.

Hibs take up where they left off in the second half - going backwards towards their own goal. But in a short breakaway after 50 minutes Higgins gave McAlpine something to think about. An innocent run down the flank ended in a shot from the big Hibs man which McAlpine done well to stop it at the second attempt. Higgins was causing all the trouble for Hibs. He forced McAlpine to his knees with a low shot from the wing. With 68 minutes on the clock, Pettigrew might have had a second but his shot from 18 yards was deflected by Brazil into McArthur's arms. Ralph Milne replaced Kerr with 20 minutes left and gave United a boost in the closing stages. It was he who doubled the home sides lead. A Payne cross reached Kopel and Ralph Milne, and the sub stabbed the ball past McArthur from 6 yards. Three minutes from time McAlpine saved well from a Callachan free kick. Hibs had come to choke the game to death, but only persistance, patience and Payne overcame what could have been a difficult hurdle for United.

Squad Statistics (as at October 13th, 1979)

1979-80 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)31 8 - 3753
Frank Kopel30 16330912
Iain Phillip28 13 - 24 -
Derek Stark20 151482
Paul Hegarty25 8 - 20637
George Fleming31 14 - 31435
Billy Kirkwood21 1619924
Jim Kerr20 2 - 2 -
Paul Sturrock23 17618649
Willie Pettigrew26 157157
Graeme Payne23 17221313
Ralph Milne (sub)18 9393

League Table (as at October 13th, 1979)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 9 6 3 0 +14 15
2. Morton 9 5 2 2 +8 12
3. Aberdeen 9 5 1 3 +10 11
4. Partick Th 9 4 3 2 +2 11
5. Kilmarnock 9 4 2 3 -4 10
6. Rangers 9 3 3 3 +2 9
7. DUNDEE UTD 9 3 2 4 -1 8
8. St Mirren 9 2 2 5 -8 6
9. Dundee 9 2 1 6 -13 5
10. Hibernian 9 1 1 7 -10 3

League results since United's last match
13th October 1979
Dundee Utd2-0Hibernian
St Mirren1-2Partick Th

Manager's Programme Notes

Following our recent yo-yo form we get back to the all-consuming task this afternoon of attempting to further our collection of Premier League points when Eddie Tumbull's Hibs are our visitors. The fact that the Easter Road men currently anchor ithe table means very little at this level and we will have to be at our best to get any return from what seems certain to be a close affair. Certainly we will have ito perform, better than we did in our League Cup clash against Second Division Queen's Park in midweek. To be honest the fact that we finally emerged from the tie as qualifiers for the final eight of the competition was its only consolation — and a minor one at that! I rated the display as an insult to those of you true Tannadice fans who braved the elements. In so saying I would like to make it crystal clear that I intend no discredit to our visitors from Hampden. For their part they performed well. No, as far as I was concerned, we played well below the standard I expect, in fact demand as our minimum performance. So many of the side fell so far short of their individual levels against Queen's that I found it difficult to identify those with the displays against both Anderlecht and Rangers in the previous games.

My own personal opinion was that on Wednesday night only lain Phillip, Graeme Payne and Paul Sturrock escaped criticism. The fact that Paul Sturrock is included amongst those exempt from criticism should in itself cause red faces elsewhere in the side because as you must surely have guessed he was only fielded at all against Queen's because of the circumstances surrounding the losses of both Dave Narey and Derek Stark. The intention was that he should be given a well-earned rest after the fine consistency he has shown so far this term and that only the minimum of chance should be taken with the knock he suffered against Rangers. Finally, I read with some annoyance the inference made by a certain Sunday newspaper writer concerning Frank Kopel's magnificent UEFA Cup-tie clincher in Brussels recently. His description of it as a "blooter" without any build-up makes me wonder just what lain Phillip, Dave Narey and Paul Sturrock were doing in creating the four-man move.