Partick Th 1
Dundee Utd 2
League Cup (Section 4)

Partick Th 

1 - 2

Dundee Utd

League Cup (Section 4)
Wednesday, August 19th, 1981
Firhill. Att. 1,805
7:30 PM Kick-off

Maurice Johnston (87) Paul Sturrock (10)
Eamonn Bannon (38)

Team Managers
Peter Cormack Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Alan Rough
Dave MacKinnon
John Lapsley
Brian Whittaker
Jackie Campbell
Kenny Watson
Iain Jardine
Alex O'Hara
Tony Higgins
Jamie Doyle
George Clark
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Derek Stark
Frank Kopel
Iain Phillip
John Holt
Richard Gough
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Paul Sturrock
Willie Pettigrew

Maurice Johnston
Ian McDonald
Paul Hegarty
Davie Dodds

Maurice Johnston for Alex O'Hara (72)
Ian McDonald for Iain Jardine (80)
Davie Dodds for Willie Pettigrew (72)

Alex O'Hara (50)
Brian Whittaker (89)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

George Smith (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

For United's third League Cup group match, youngsters Ralph Milne and Richard Gough were drafted into the starting eleven, with Graeme Payne and Davie Dodds dropping out. Skipper Paul Hegarty, who had been affected by an injury picked up back in April, was given a place on the bench for his first involvement of the season.

Thistle started the brighter, with George Clark seeing his 25 yard drive magnificently tipped over by Hamish McAlpine in the ninth minute. United answered that threat by taking the lead a minute later. Eamonn Bannon swung in a free-kick to the far post and Paul Sturrock, running in behind the defence, blasted a shot high into the net from a few yards out. In the 22nd minute United almost grabbed a second, when John Lapsley was short with a pass-back. Willie Pettigrew back-heeled to Milne, but the midfielder didn't connect right and Alan Rough gathered easily. McAlpine then saved from Higgins as Thistle pushed for an equaliser, but United went further ahead six minutes before the interval. Sturrock romped down the right and lofted over a cross to the unmarked Eamonn Bannon who headered past Rough.

United kept a firm grip on the game during the second half, dealing easily with most of Thistle's efforts to get back into the game. The Glasgow side did manage to pull one back three minutes from the end, when 18 year old Maurice Johnston, making his debut from the bench, scored with a left foot drive. It was too little too late for Partick, and Brian Whittaker was booked for a foul on Sturrock before the end. United maintained their 100% start to the season, with four wins out of four in their League Cup group.

Squad Statistics (as at August 19th, 1981)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)33 4 - 4713
Dave Narey25 4 - 34222
Derek Stark22 4 - 1243
Frank Kopel32 4 - 39413
Iain Phillip30 4 - 1021
John Holt24 4 - 14911
Richard Gough19 3171
Eamonn Bannon23 449021
Ralph Milne20 1 - 5513
Paul Sturrock24 4328081
Willie Pettigrew27 428634
Davie Dodds (sub)22 3 - 12145

League Table (as at August 19th, 1981)

Pld W D L +/- Pts

No games played.

League results since United's last match